- 2013-2016 M.F.A. Ceramics Candidate University of Kansas Lawrence, Kansas
- 2010-2012 Post-Baccalaureate in Ceramics Indiana University Bloomington, Indiana
- 1996-2001 Bachelor of Fine Arts University of Tennessee Martin, Tennessee
Selected Group and Solo Exhibitions
- 2016 Thirties, Six01Studio, Los Angeles, CA (upcoming June)
- 2016 Richard W. James Thesis Exhibition, KU Art and Design Gallery, Lawrence, KS
- 2016 Generations, Filipino Cultural Center, Overland Park, KS
- 2015 Intimate Object XI, Charlie Cummings Gallery, St. Petersburg, FL
- 2015 2015 M.F.A. National Exhibition, First Street Gallery, New York, NY
- 2015 The Seven Colors, Other Gallery, Jingdezhen, China
- 2015 New China From China, Milano Art EXPO, Italy
- 2014 Concordia Continental Ceramics Competition 5, Concordia Gallery, St. Paul, MN
- 2014 2014 World Cup Tournament, Hyart Gallery, Madison, WI
- 2014 Way of the Tea Bowl, Plenum Space Gallery, Kansas City, MO
- 2013 Lets Talk About Love Baby, Sculpture X, Columbus, OH
- 2013 Singularities, West Street Art Gallery (2-person, lecture), Madison, IN
- 2013 Lets Talk About Love Baby, Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art, Indianapolis, IN
- 2012 Flash Point, Plinth Gallery, Denver, CO
- 2011 In Lieu, Hanover College Greiner Art Gallery (2-person, lecture), Hanover, IN
- 2011 Detritus, West Street Art Gallery (solo), Madison, IN
- 2010 Our Own Backyard, Grenier Art Gallery, Hanover, IN
- 2008 Untitled, Studio 310 (solo), Madison, IN
James, R.W. (In press). Russell Wrankle Profile, New Ceramics.
James, R.W. (2016). Zhenrutang Artist in Residence Program, Ceramics: Art and Perception, May.
James, R.W. (2015). He Said, She Said. Ceramics: Art and Perception, June.
Salamoni, A. (2014). Wood-fired Ceramics: 100 Contemporary Artists, Schiffer Publishing: Atglen, Pennsylvania.
James, R.W. (2013). Low firing with wood. Ceramics Monthly. June/July/August, pp. 58–62.
Melnick, (2013). D. Pots and Protons: Richard James Ceramics, The Ryder Arts Magazine. May, pp. 22-24.
Nomination, Outstanding Student Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture Award 2016
Recipient, Travel Award, The University of Kansas Ceramic Association 2015
Recipient, Travel Award, The University of Kansas SOTA Travel Research Grant 2015
Finalist, 2015 National MFA Competition 2015
Recipient, Travel Award, The University of Kansas Ceramic Association 2014
Best in Show, Concordia Continental Ceramics Competition 5, St. Paul, MN 2014
Clyde Bonebrake and Ward Lockwood Art Scholarship, The University of Kansas 2013
Honorable Mention, Flash Point International Wood Fire 2012
Asheville Area Arts Council “Emerging Artist” Grant Recipient 2006