- 2013-2016 M.F.A. Ceramics Candidate University of Kansas Lawrence, Kansas
- 2010-2012 Post-Baccalaureate in Ceramics Indiana University Bloomington, Indiana
- 1996-2001 Bachelor of Fine Arts University of Tennessee, Martin Martin, Tennessee
- 2017 Archie Bray Foundation, Helena, Montana
- 2016 Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- 2015 Zhenrutang A.I.R., Jingdezhen, China
Selected Group and Solo Exhibitions
- 2017 Ceramic Sculpture Culture, James May Gallery, Algoma, WI
- 2017 Habitual, Roswell Clay, Atlanta, GA
- 2017Un//known, Sandra J. Blain Gallery, Arrowmont, Gatlinburg, TN
- 2016 Ceramic Sculpture Culture, Baltimore Clayworks, Baltimore, MD
- 2016 okay., Wolpert Gallery, Arrowmont, Gatlinburg, TN
- International Sculpture Center’s Outstanding Student Achievement Awards In Contemporary Sculpture Exhibition, Grounds for Sculpture Museum, Hamilton, NJ
- 2016 The Arrowmont Experience, The Emporium, Knoxville, TN
- 2016 Richard W. James Thesis Exhibition, KU Art and Design Gallery, Lawrence, KS
- 2016 Generations, Filipino Cultural Center, Overland Park, KS
- 2015 Intimate Object XI, Charlie Cummings Gallery, St. Petersburg, FL
- 2015 2015 M.F.A. National Exhibition, First Street Gallery, New York, NY
- 2015 The Seven Colors, Other Gallery, Jingdezhen, China
- 2015 New China From China, Milano Art EXPO, Italy
- 2014 Concordia Continental Ceramics Competition 5, Concordia Gallery, St. Paul, MN
- 2014 2014 World Cup Tournament, Hyart Gallery, Madison, WI
- 2014 Way of the Tea Bowl, Plenum Space Gallery, Kansas City, MO
- 2013 Lets Talk About Love Baby, Sculpture X, Columbus, OH
- 2013 Singularities, West Street Art Gallery (2-person, lecture), Madison, IN
- 2013 Lets Talk About Love Baby, Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art, Indianapolis, IN
- 2012 Flash Point, Plinth Gallery, Denver, CO
- 2011 In Lieu, Hanover College Greiner Art Gallery (2-person, lecture), Hanover, IN
- 2011 Detritus, West Street Art Gallery (solo), Madison, IN
- 2010 Our Own Backyard, Grenier Art Gallery, Hanover, IN
- 2008 Untitled, Studio 310 (solo), Madison, IN
Hutchison, J. (2016). The International Sculpture Center 2016 Outstanding Student Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture Awards, Sculpture. October, pp. 52.
James, R.W. (In press). Russell Wrankle Profile, Ceramics: Art and Perception.
James, R.W. (in press). Zhenrutang Artist in Residence Program, Ceramics: Technical.
James, R.W. (2015). He Said, She Said. Ceramics: Art and Perception, June.
Salamoni, A. (2014). Wood-fired Ceramics: 100 Contemporary Artists, Schiffer Publishing: Atglen, Pennsylvania.
James, R.W. (2013). Low firing with wood. Ceramics Monthly. June/July/August, pp. 58–62.
Melnick, (2013). D. Pots and Protons: Richard James Ceramics, The Ryder Arts Magazine. May, pp. 22-24.
2016 Outstanding Student Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture Award
2015 Recipient, Travel Award, The University of Kansas Ceramic Association
2015 Recipient, Travel Award, The University of Kansas SOTA Travel Research Grant
2015 Finalist, 2015 National MFA Competition
2014 Recipient, Travel Award, The University of Kansas Ceramic Association
2014 Best in Show, Concordia Continental Ceramics Competition 5, St. Paul, MN
2013 Clyde Bonebrake and Ward Lockwood Art Scholarship, The University of Kansas
2012 Honorable Mention, Flash Point International Wood Fire
2006 Asheville Area Arts Council “Emerging Artist” Grant Recipient